
I've always wondered what bay leaves were used for in cooking. So, after Larry pulled one out his meal tonight at Beaudelaire, I decided to do some research. According to the Spice Trade marketplace, "Bay leaf (plural bay leaves) refers to the aromatic leaf of the Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis, Lauraceae). Fresh or dried bay leaves are used in cooking for their distinctive flavor and fragrance. The leaves are often used to flavor soups, stews, braises and pâtés in Mediterranean cuisine. The fresh leaves are very mild and do not develop their full flavor until several weeks after picking and drying."
Apparently, there is also a Pokemon character named Bayleef, and according to Nintendo, the character "has a pale yellow body supported by four legs and a rather long neck and tail. On top of its head is a single large leaf. Its most defining trait is the "necklace" of seven tubular leaves that is located around its neck. Each of these curled up leaves contains inside it a tree shoot. From these leaves wafts a spicy scent that has stimulating properties. It can cheer people up, restore their health, make them more energetic and even heighten their drive for competition." Interesting. I'm going to go ahead and say that finding a bay leaf in your food is good luck and a symbol of health. Yeah, I totally just made that up. But it's more fun that way.
moms uses them in spaghetti sauce!
ReplyDelete