Disclaimer: the views here do not express the views of Peace Corps or the United States Government. They are solely my own.

Dec 7, 2010

ClinkClink(it's2am)


According to the U.S. National Fire Protection Association, candles are one of the leading sources of residential fires in the U.S. with almost 10% of civilian injuries and 6% of civilian fatalities from fire attributed to candles.  Luckily, I haven't had any run ins, but I certainly do like my candles.  Fun fact: back in the day (during the 18th century, mainly in China), candles were made to be clocks.  Weights were set into the sides of the candle, and after a certain time, the wax would burn off and the weights would fall into the bowl holding the candle.  The clinking of the weights falling into the bowl would be an indicator of time.  COOL!  I want one.

1 comment:

  1. I once ate candlefish in China.. it tasted lil better than duck's feet - btw duck's feet (served as a snack) are the worst tasting food ever..

    ReplyDelete