Disclaimer: the views here do not express the views of Peace Corps or the United States Government. They are solely my own.

Dec 11, 2010

nevasca


Noun (Spanish)

nevasca f. (plural nevascas)
  1. blizzard
Be careful what you wish for.  During the past week, I've been complaining about the boring winter scenery and bare trees;  I figure that if it's going to be zero degrees, there should at least be some pretty snow to watch.  Today, ironically, my wish was granted...tenfold.  For the past five or six years, Iowa has been bombarded with a snow storm during the night or day before I'm supposed to board a flight to Florida to visit my family.  Seriously, it happens without fail.  As I sit on the floor of my now empty apartment, I can hear the wind howling its vengeance outside my creaky windows.  This picture doesn't do any justice, but it's the view that I have right now-- trees are bending, snow is blowing, and cars are stopping.

I'm contemplating heading out one last time before heading south, but I may just lay on my floor and listen to some music instead.  My fingers are crossed that I'm able to make my flight tomorrow, but judging by years past, I'm doubtful.  Be careful what you wish for!

No comments:

Post a Comment