Trapped In Another World
This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.
A WOODRUM BOOK Original
Copyright (c) 2000
(YES, that really did appear in my book....)
One bright and sunny day, Caroline and her family decided to go to the lake about one hour from their house and have a picnic. It was also very hot, so Caroline wanted to go swimming. She called her friend Aliesa and asked her if she wanted to go with her. Aliesa had chores to do, so she was going to meet Caroline at the lake when she was done because her family was planning on going anyway.
Caroline went to her room and gathered her things, including a book she had been reading, a camera, her towel, and some candy for later on.
The rest of the family was still packing when Caroline was ready to go, so she waited impatiently on the deck of the house. Finally they were all ready to leave.
On the way to the lake, Caroline and her sister, Lisa, fought as usual. They decided to make an invisible wall to help their fighting stop.
Caroline was reading her book when the family arrived at Lake Hatpic.
When Caroline and her family were done unpacking all their stuff for the picnic, Caroline decided to swim until Aliesa arrived.
As Caroline was wading in the water, she stumbled over something that felt like a big tunnel. It led beneath the ground and down. Being the curious person she was, Caroline wanted to know what was inside the tunnel. She decided she would wait until Aliesa came to explore.
Caroline made sure she stayed close to the spot where the tunnel was so she would find it easily when Aliesa came.
Finally, Aliesa came. Caroline motioned her to come in the water. Aliesa hesitated, but went ahead.
"Hi," Caroline said. "I've been wading around the lake and I found a tunnel. It looks like it leads to somewhere underground. I've waited for you to come so that I would have someone to explore with."
"Well, I don't know. Are you thinking of going in the tunnel? It seems kind of scary. I don't think we should," Aliesa replied. Caroline didn't want to give up.
After many minutes of begging, Caroline finally convinced Aliesa it would be all right.
Caroline and Aliesa went out to the tunnel. Caroline told Aliesa she was going to swim inside of it to see where it would lead to and if she wasn't back in five minutes, to go get help. Aliesa still tried to talk Caroline out of it, but she wouldn't listen.
"Be careful!" Aliesa demanded.
"I will, don't worry," Caroline said.
Before Aliesa could say anything else, Caroline was underwater swimming towards the tunnel.
Caroline swam into the tunnel. There was a current going with Caroline as she swam, so it was like she was being sucked into the tunnel.
Surprisingly the tunnel ended soon. At the end of the tunnel there was an elevator. Caroline stepped inside and the door closed. All the water drained out of the elevator and oxygen was released. Caroline was able to breathe again.
The elevator went down, down, and even deeper. Caroline was a little frightened because she didn't want to see what would happen when the door opened.
When the door did open, there was a sign that read "Welcome To The Opposite World." Caroline walked out of the elevator.
To Caroline's amazement, she saw Aliesa standing in a desert looking up into a tunnel. Caroline thought this was very weird.
Caroline kept on walking. She noticed that everything was opposite than what it really was in her world.
Caroline went up to Aliesa and tried to talk to her, but it seemed as though Aliesa didn't know who she was. Caroline realized she was unknown by the people in this world.
As Caroline kept on walking, she saw many weird things. She saw dogs walking humans, children going to work, adults going to school, umbrellas when it wasn't raining, heavy jackets when it was warm, and many other peculiar things.
After a while, Caroline remembered Aliesa was still waiting for her. She thought she'd better leave.
Caroline walked to the tunnel Aliesa was standing at. She tried to jump up into it, but was unsuccessful. She couldn't get back to her world. She was trapped.
Caroline tried over and over, but her attempts failed.
Caroline had to find a way back and she was determined to do just that. She walked around expecting something to just pop up at her and tell her what to do. She decided to keep looking.
Caroline went to a place that had newspapers. She decided to get one because it might give her an idea on something to do. Caroline picked it up. The cashier told her it cost fifty cents. Caroline walked up to the cashier and he surprisingly gave her fifty cents.
"I guess I forgot this is Opposite World," Caroline mumbled to herself.
Caroline walked away and opened the newspaper. Finally, she came across something that would be useful. It was an article about a man that had been to the Other World. His name was Mr. Billy.
Caroline decided she had to find that man and explain everything that had happened. There was an address. She asked someone nearby.
"Is this very far from here?"
"Oh yes, very, very far. It takes a long time to get there. It's about two blocks from here. Just look at the street names and you'll figure it out."
"Thank you," Caroline said, unsure of herself.
"No, thank you," the lady replied. Caroline had to remind herself that this was Opposite World.
Caroline walked on thinking of how she was going to explain herself.
Caroline arrived shortly. She stood outside the door and knocked.
"Hello," said Mr. Billy.
"Hi. My name is Caroline and I wanted to question you on your trip to the Other World."
"What about my trip to the Other World?" Mr. Billy asked.
"Well, I kind of have a problem," Caroline replied.
"I don't know that I can help you, but I'll give it a shot."
"I am from the Other World," Caroline revealed.
"You are? Are you pulling a prank?"
"No, I'm serious. I'll tell what the Other World is like. It is opposite of this world. I'm trapped here and I don't know how to get back. Please help me!" Caroline pleaded.
"All right. I'll tell you, but you mustn't tell anyone about this world. Do you promise?" Mr. Billy said.
"Yes."
"Follow me."
Mr. Billy lead Caroline down a long hall, then into another room. There was a big mirror in the room.
"You must stand back here and run and jump into the mirror. That is the only way of getting back. The mirror reverses everything," Billy told Caroline.
Caroline was afraid, but followed the instructions anyway. A weird feeling came over Caroline as she jumped through the mirror, but the feeling was soon gone.
Caroline woke up. Had she been dreaming? Or did it really happen?
Caroline went to school that day. Aliesa didn't remember anything about the tunnel or Opposite World.
When Caroline went home, there was a note on her dresser that read:
I hope you liked your trip to our world!
-Mr. Billy
Can I pick up this WOODRUM orig. at a Barnes and Nobel or, perhaps on Amazon? Maybe with some fine illustrations? :)
ReplyDeleteHAHA my illustrations aren't up to par-- no way could those be published. My story, on the other hand, is on it's way to the NYT Best-Sellers list..
ReplyDelete