Disclaimer: the views here do not express the views of Peace Corps or the United States Government. They are solely my own.
Jan 25, 2011
NoPuedoBailar
Im still struggling with spanish. Everyone who knows me knows that I am a people person who loves to talk, so not being able to express myself with the right words is very difficult. However, I have realized that its a process. I am learning. Immersion is the most important aspect, and I finally have more confidence to talk to the people of Santa Teresa.
Lots of things happened last week. I experienced my first earthquake. It lasted for about ten seconds, and there wasnt any damage. My spanish professor kind of freaked out and made us run out of the house, but for good reason.
My familys dog is now a madre and has four perritos... todos son chavalos. That was pretty exciting.
During the weekend, I went with my host sister to Diriamba, a nearby city. There was an ipica taking place with lots of music, dancing, and cerveza (nunca para mi). During the ipica, vaqueros rode their horses down the street (most of them drunk) and showed off their horses. THERE WERE SO MANY PEOPLE. It was a lot of fun, but also overwhelming. Oh, and my host sister and her friends thought itd be fun to try to teach the gringa how to dance. No success with that one.
Machismo runs rampant here, and its frustrating at times. Although its part of the culture, its a huge change for me, and I still feel uncomfortable at times.
My professor informed me today that the cute chickens in the street are actually used for fighting, and most of them die a painful, bloody death. That kind of killed my mood this morning.
One of the things I love most about Santa Teresa are the stars. They are so bright here!!! Its beautiful.
Above is a picture of el patio de mi familia con la ropa limpia y la otra foto es un hombre con su caballo.
I apologize for this update being so scattered and brief, but my one hour of internet access for the week is quickly coming to an end! I MISS ALL OF YOU!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment