After a Peace Corps meeting one fine afternoon, some trainees, including myself, decided to head to a semi-famous Vegetarian Malaysian restaurant (quite the combination). We had heard great reviews from other Peace Corps volunteers, and when we walked in the door, current TEFL volunteers already occupied one of the tables. The food was pretty good, and my meal cost under a dollar. Having Malaysian cooks speak Spanish was also very interesting, and the restaurant had AMAZING muffins for dessert.
After the meal, I went up to pay my bill, and an older gentleman was standing and ordering his food. He asked me where I was from, and I told him I was from the United States and working with the Peace Corps. He responded by asking what part of the United States I had come from. I told him that I was from el estado Iowa, y es en el central del pais. He responded with, “Ohh. Ames?” My. Mouth. Fell. To. The. Floor. I was shocked! I asked him how he knew Ames, and he informed me that he studied at Iowa State University many years ago. A FELLOW CYCLONE?! IN NICARAGUA?! That’s nuts!
The man was very, very nice, and he told me that he owns an avocado farm. He gave me his business card and told me that if I ever wanted a tour of his farm, I could call him or shoot him an email. I have yet to do so, but I don’t think I’d have a problem rounding up a group of people to go. The aguacates here are DELICIOUS and HUGE. Imagine a haas avocado.. triple in size and double in flavor. Yummm.
No comments:
Post a Comment