Disclaimer: the views here do not express the views of Peace Corps or the United States Government. They are solely my own.

Aug 16, 2012

Canal25


LIGHTS!
CAMERA!

Wait... what's going on here?...

And ACTION!

...too late to figure it out.

And so began my first day as a TV superstar.

Mass media is amazing, and I've been having a great time with my new TV slot in El Jicaro.  My first day was harsh; I was put on live air and asked to talk about "self-esteem in adolescents" with no preparation.  In Spanish.  It was rough.

See, about three or four times a week, I'm given a two-hour time slot with the local TV station to co-anchor a lesson on a given theme.  Topics range from self-esteem, pregnancy in adolescents, domestic violence, to safe sex.  Never in my life did I think I'd go on live TV and explain how to use a condom in Spanish to thousands of viewers in the municipality.  Cool!  ....scary!

The TV station has a cell phone on-hand so viewers can text or call in their questions, concerns, and suggestions.  The first day of our program, we received many anonymous texts asking if I was married, single, or looking for a boyfriend.  "Nathaly, regalame su numero porfa!" made me a bit skeptical.  Were people here going to take me seriously?  And would they ever learn to spell my name correctly?

Here I am, two months later, and the text messages we receive while giving out information to the public are positive and show that people really are interested.  These texts include specific questions about birth control, HIV and AIDS, and risks of pregnancy.  What's most interesting to me is the huge inflow of positive feedback we've received; these topics are a bit taboo in the States.  At least, I have never really discussed this information in such a free and open manner or heard it being talked about in-depth on cable television.

Everyone here watches Canal 25-- kids, adults, grandparents, farm workers, police officers, the mayor; every single one of these people is hearing the words condom, HIV, sex, penis, vagina, etc. on this TV program.  It's absolutely necessary that people here become comfortable discussing these topics.  There are an overwhelming number of pregnant adolescents in this municipality, and there are cases of eleven and twelve year olds with children of their own.  This is happening because of lack of knowledge and information, and possibly, the nervousness that comes along with asking questions.

Maybe throwing a gringa on live TV and listening to her mispronounce words is amusing and a great way to gain viewers.  To be completely honest, that's quite all right by me.  As long as people are listening and learning, I am willing to stumble through technical medical terms in Spanish to our viewers.

I had a conversation with my site mate, Jonathan, about how life here sometimes feels like a play-- like we're acting.  My TV stint is the perfect example; I don't get nervous and am open to any type of discussion because I feel like I'm acting.  Explaining this sensation is very difficult, but I find myself constantly in uncomfortable situations here that I no longer feel uncomfortable in these types of situations.  Feeling awkward and being in unnerving settings has become normal, and I've actually found that these types of circumstances are the most rewarding.

Today's lesson:  Put yourself out there.  Make mistakes.  Mispronounce words in Spanish.  Although it's difficult, you may find yourself gaining more insight on what makes the world go round.

No comments:

Post a Comment